I've recently signed up for twitter and began searching for people to follow. Sadly, I notice that there are far too many people out there that just say anything, believing that it is worthy of reading by the world. There are a number of uses for this technology, namely in my stage 6 English and SOR classes where students can tweet each other resources with comments about their use. Additionally, the concept that students can work together outside of the classroom to continue their learning is great. I love the fact that this engages them to become a community of learners, and addresses their multi-modal skills. However, I do fear the structure of their writing as twitter is 'short hand' and I fear that this will transfer back into their tasks.
I've also discovered the benefits of using edmodo (similar to facebook, without the privacy issuaes). This site will be of great value since myclasses appears to have some drawbacks, namely that the students see it as 'purely educational' rather than a social tool to assist learning. The fact that edmodo looks and navigates like facebook means that they are more likely to utilise the resources available to them and share resources with eachother. This means that they are engaged and able to practice their research skills.
I see a great deal of benefit from extending the classroom into the greater web world to make it able learning rather than assessments.
No comments:
Post a Comment